The old cotton mill in Turgi is to be made into a complex with office spaces and commercial premises. This is the decision made by Limmatkraftwerke AG, which operates its hydroelectric station next to the large building. The structure was acquired by the subsidiary of the regional utilities company Regionalwerke AG Baden in mid-2020. According to the press release on LinkedIn, offices, workshops, and commercial premises will be rented from an area of 7,000 square meters from April 1 or by arrangement. André Roth AG in Baden is responsible for marketing the spaces.
The former cotton mill in Turgi was set up as a factory between 1826 and 1879. Between 400 and 600 people worked at the cotton mill owned by the Bebié brothers according to an article in the Aargauer Zeitung newspaper on the subject of the sale of the long, gabled building back in July 2020. The Cantonal Department Of Monument Preservation called it “the most large-scale building of its type in the canton of Aargau.” The cotton mill, which is over 190 years old, was provided with energy by the power plant in Turgi that is now operated by Limmatkraftwerke AG.
Martin Schoop, Chair of the Board of Directors of Limmatkraftwerke, was quoted at that time on the reasons for the acquisition: “We operate one of our power plants right next to the cotton mill. By purchasing the cotton mill, we are able to guarantee continued operation of this power plant in the long term.” The acquisition of the cotton mill enables future use to be controlled in such a way as to make development possible.