Each import shipment with regulated products must be accompanied by a product certificate and a SONCAP certificate. Both certificates must be issued by an accredited body such as the Bureau Veritas or Société Générale de Surveillance SA (SGS).
Regulated products are all those goods that do not fall under the exceptions listed below:
- Medical products (excluding equipment and machinery)
- Chemicals used as raw materials for manufacturers registered as "Bonafide Manufacturers"
- Military equipment
- Goods classified as contraband by the Nigerian government
- All goods prohibited for import
- Used products (excluding vehicles)
Before the final release of SONCAP-certified finished products, the importer is obliged to mark their packaging with the Product Authentication Mark (PAM). This sticker, which contains a QR code and a security feature, must be applied for from the SON. Products without PAM marking are considered counterfeit and will be destroyed.