Swiss Cosmetics Mission to India
India is the largest democracy in the world. With a population of over 1.3 billion, India has a dynamic and diversified economy with a projected annual GDP growth of 7.5%. The expanding middle class in India will drive 75% of consumer spending by 2030. Income growth, urbanization, demographics, technological innovation, and evolving consumer habits will drive future consumption in India.
COSMETICS MARKET IN INDIA: KEY HIGHLIGHTS
- Market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 5-6%, from USD 8 billion in 2016 to USD 10 billion in 2021
- Key growth areas include colour cosmetics, fragrances, specialised skin care, and make-up cosmetics
- Drivers include rising awareness of beauty products, increasing premium on personal grooming, rising disposable income, changes in consumption patterns and lifestyles, changing retail landscape, improved purchasing power among women, and increasing consumer preference for specialised cosmetic products such as organic, herbal and ayurvedic products
- Product segments: hair care, oral care, skin care, fragrance, cosmetic colours
- Sales channels: retail, online, direct selling, salons
- Major Indian players: Hindustan Unilever Limited, Marico Industries, Vini Cosmetics, Colgate-Palmolive
SKIN CARE IN INDIA
- In 2017, facial care accounted for the highest value sales within skin care in India.
- L’Oréal India was the second biggest player in skin care in 2017.
- Future growth will be driven by customised skin products, technology integration (e.g. mobile apps), and facial care products.
- Skin care is projected to reach a total market value of CHF2.1 billion by 2022.
EMERGING TRENDS AND OPPORTUNITIES
- Premium segment growing faster than mass segment in cosmetics
- Consumers moving towards new product categories such as shower gel, body scrub, and facewash
- Increasing use of social media to review and purchase new products online as well as in physical stores
- Engagement of at-home services for beauty treatments
- Shift towards use of natural, organic, anti-fatigue, anti-pollution, anti-ageing products
- Rise in consumption of men’s grooming products; demand for grooming routines as part of pre-wedding preparations
- Surge in shopping for cosmetic products on online portals such as Amazon, Nykaa
REGISTRATION OF COSMETIC PRODUCTS
- Registration of cosmetic products in India is regulated by Central Drugs Standard Control Organization.
- All cosmetic products imported for sale into India need to be registered.
- A legal Indian authorized representative/agent needs to be formally appointed if a foreign company does not have a registered/physical office with required licenses in India.
- Registration of a cosmetic product could take nearly three months, and the registration itself is valid for three years.
- One-to-one matchmaking meetings with potential importers and distributors
- Visits to three trade fairs in Mumbai
- Guided visits to retail stores, beauty clinics and spas
- Networking opportunities with experts, distributors, regulator, peers
15th Sep 2019, Sunday:
- Arrival in Mumbai (Swiss LX154 departing Zürich at 09.45h and arriving in Mumbai at 21.40h)
16th Sep 2019, Monday (full day):
- Cosmetics Ingredients & Packaging India
- Aesthetic Medicine Live
- Salon India 2019
17th Sep 2019, Tuesday (full day):
- Matchmaking meetings with potential distributors, partners, and experts
- Insights into opportunities in e-commerce
- Meeting with regulator – Central Drugs Standard Control Organization, Mumbai
- Matchmaking and networking reception with potential distributors, partners, experts, and peers
18th Sep 2019, Wednesday (full day):
- All India Cosmetics Manufacturers Association
- Indian Beauty and Hygiene Association
- Retail store checks and meetings with purchasing managers
- Visits and pitches to high-end beauty clinics/spas
19th Sep 2019, Thursday:
- Depart for Zürich (Swiss LX155 departing Mumbai at 00.55h and arriving in Zürich at 06.15h)
- Planning, organizing, accompanying participants, India in-country expenses: accommodation, local transport
- Food and Beverages
CANCELLATION FEE AFTER OFFICIAL ENROLMENT
Before 15.08.2019: 50% of fee
After 15.08.2019: 100% of fee
|Target audience||Cosmetics and skin-care companies|
|Organizer||S-GE and Swiss Business Hub India|
|Cost of participating||CHF 2’965.- for non-members, CHF 2’855.- for SKW members - Price per participant excluding VAT|