Investing in the Canton of Ticino
The Italian speaking Canton of Ticino is an internationally renowned location for innovation, where the constant strengthening of the framework conditions, and the presence of important technological competences, has created a favourable ecosystem for the development of innovative business.
Located just south of the beautiful Swiss Alps, Ticino offers a strategic geographic position as a bridge between Northern and Southern Europe and its two of the strongest and most dynamic economic areas: Lombardy – with Milan at its heart – and Zurich.
Canton Ticino harmoniously unites the Swiss accuracy and reliability with the Italian flexibility, resulting in an excellent combination of creativity and sound economic development.
Thanks to the mild climate and the attractive landscapes, Ticino is one of the main touristic locations in Switzerland, but at the same time, it showcases a wide array of business activities:
- a solid industrial sector with innovative and export-oriented SMEs;
- the historic life sciences sector has been recently witnessing the growth of a new cluster of biotech companies in Bellinzona thanks to the various research institutes located in the area;
- driven by the top-notch competences of the Institute Dalle Molle for Artificial Intelligence, a number of companies are emerging in the artificial intelligence sector;
- home of several headquarters of MNCs;
- Lugano is also the third largest finance market in Switzerland, with very ambitious projects also in the crypto and blockchain field.
The local companies can count on the support of numerous research institutes, such as:
- Dalle Molle Institute for Artificial Intelligence IDSIA
- Institute of Research in Biomedicine
- Institute of Oncology Research
- Department of Innovative Technologies at SUPSI
- Institute of Computational Sciences
- Software Institute
- Swiss National Supercomputing Center
The economic promotion office can provide advice and support to foreign companies for an easy and smooth settlement.
- Predominant industries
Life sciences, lifestyle-tech, mechatronic, information and communications technology
- Flagship companies
HHelsinn Healthcare SA, Humabs BioMed SA, Guess Europe Sagl, Agie Charmilles SA
- Recent additions
UBS Business Solution Center for the research of AI application in finance and the recent settlement of the biotech company Peptone
With the Innovation Park, we are creating in Ticino a unique platform that promotes the collaboration between researchers, high-tech companies, and startups to spark inventive activities, develop and test sustainable and innovative ideas.