Switzerland has 30 free trade agreements with 40 partners - in addition to the EFTA convention and the free trade agreement with the EU. What benefits do free trade agreements (FTAs) offer and where do you as an SME need to pay careful attention?
How to use free trade agreements even more easily in the future
The State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) analyzes the extent to which Swiss companies make use of Switzerland's free trade agreements in order to save on customs duties. Customs savings of around CHF 2,063 million were realized on imports to Switzerland in 2019. However, potential customs savings of around CHF 400 million were not realized.
Rules of origin are very important to ensure goods of specific origin can be distinguished from goods from third countries in trade between two free trade partners. What do you as an SME need to pay attention to in this regard?
Answers to the most important questions as well as relevant documents.
Benefit from FTAs as an SME
- No or reduced customs duties for customers abroad
- Customs duties are eliminated or at least reduced, meaning margins can be optimized.
- Competitive advantage (e.g. the EU does not yet have any agreement with China)
- Increased competitiveness of the company thanks to competitive offers
- Regardless of the customs savings, the customs-related Swiss origin can be a sales argument with regard to the quality of a product.
How to save on customs duties and margins
Together with our partner Swissmem, we have produced a flyer for you on how to make the most of free trade agreements.