An important trade partner in the MENA region
Measured in terms of the total trading volume of almost CHF 15.0 billion, the UAE were the most important trading partner in the MENA region in 2018 . Switzerland exported goods worth 4.8 Mr. CHF into the UAE in 2018 (+19.5%) and imported goods worth CHF 10.1 billion from the UAE (+2.4%).
Compliance requirements for food imports
Local authorities are constantly striving to increase and improve the quality and safety of products sold in the country. Therefore, several regulations and import regulations are implemented from time to time for the import and trade of products. Importers and traders are required to comply with the regulatory requirements that apply to border clearance and facilitation of doing business in the country.
Find practical information in our fact sheet
Our fact sheet, which can download below, gives an overview of the regulatory and compliance requirements in the UAE for food and beverages sold in the country (both manufactured or imported into the UAE). The following contents are covered in the document:
- Importing food & beverage in the UAE: customs + municipality
- Authority approvals + registrations
- ESMA Registration (EQM - Emirates Quality Mark, ECAS - honey and energy drinks, organic certification, halal certification + mark)
- Product registration with Zad
- Dubai Municipality (Consignment release process, importation of Pork, importation of Liquor)
- Food product labeling
- Food testing and analysis
- Food safety certifications and trainings
Find out more information on these topics in the fact sheet below.