Investing in the Canton of Geneva
The canton of Geneva is an international economic center with over 1,000 multinational companies, two thirds of which are foreign, and 38 international organizations.
The canton in the heart of Europe offers a world-class economic environment, an excellent infrastructure and a highly qualified workforce trained at the cantonal universities.
The Canton of Geneva is a leader in many areas:
- Banking and financial services: As the capital for private banking services, the canton occupies 9th place in the Global Financial Centers Index with its 104 banks and 36,000 employees in this sector.
- Commodities trading: With around 400 international trading, transport and certification companies employing more than 8,000 people, the canton has a leading international position in commodities trading.
- Life sciences: The canton has a network of companies and research centers in the fields of biotechnology, medical technology and pharmaceuticals. The proportion of the Canton of Geneva’s working population employed in the area of life sciences is the highest in Europe.
- Information and communication technologies: The canton is the “cradle of the World Wide Web” and an important ICT center with more than 1,000 companies active in this sector.
- International organizations and NGOs: With a unique network of international organizations, NGOs and diplomatic representations, the canton is the most active diplomatic center worldwide.
Geneva is a member of the Greater Geneva Bern Area.