Pakistan’s large population is increasingly becoming more tech-savvy and also creates opportunities for innovative solutions to urbanization be offered. Despite Covid-19 pandemic and a consequent trend of an overall decline in the South Asia region, Pakistan has progressed on spot in the Belt and Road Infrastructure Development Index (2021) and claimed 5th position globally in infrastructure development.
Industrial growth has sparked massive demand in all facets of Pakistan’s air, sea, rail, road and physical infrastructure. Apart from this, there is an immense potential in development of tourism infrastructure. As per ADB’s country operations business plan for Pakistan (Country Operations Business Plan) 2021-2023, ADB is consistent with its country partnership strategy for Pakistan, 2021-2025. Pakistan to continue cooperation with Turkey, UAE and Germany in various fields, which includes Gas & Energy Infrastructure, Tourism, Mines & Minerals, Municipality & Transport, renewable energy, health care, biotechnology, agricultural technology, logistics, digital communications, e-commerce & financial services, more details are given on this link: Projects.
Key infrastructure projects
- Energy demand in Pakistan has created highly profitable opportunities for Swiss companies to offer their solution and technology in renewable, hydel and clean technology power generation projects. After the development of Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline, & Saudi Arabia’s decision to double the oil facilities for Pakistan, energy sector in Pakistan offers lucrative opportunities to Swiss Companies.
- Oil & Gas Development Company Limited (OGDCL) has discovered the gas reserves in 4 wells in Rajanpur, Punjab. State owned Oil Company OGDCL also discovered gas reserves in the areas of Lakki Marwat, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK). The find is being estimated as the biggest one in the last decade, according to top sources in the Energy Ministry of Pakistan.
- OGDCL also discovered new gas reserves in the Ghotki district of Sindh. OGDCL claims that the latest discovery will help in overcoming the energy crisis in the country.
- After OGDCL, Pakistan’s second largest gas producer Mari Petroleum Company Limited (MPCL) discovered a mega gas reservoir of one trillion cubic feet in North Waziristan, KPK. Most importantly, with this discovery the country’s foreign remittance of $1.5 billion per annum will be saved. Because of the energy crisis the Chemical & Textile companies were not getting enough gas/energy for their operationS. Discovery of these gas reservoirs will help overcome the energy crisis and offers opportunities for Swiss Chemical & Textile companies to target this market more. Read Archroma’s success story in this industry in Pakistan.
- In a major development, massive three billion tonne coal deposits were discovered in Sindh’s Thar, earlier in this year (2022). Thar’s coal can produce cheap electricity for next 400 years.
- According to World Economic Forum - during the pandemic, the country made a bold announcement to shift away from a coal-based pathway towards renewable energy by announcing a target of achieving 60% clean energy mix by 2030.
- Pakistan Railway was once the only enterprise providing rail service in the country, now Pakistan has comfortable luxury buses, covering the distance across the country. The road network has been expanding constantly. New motorways and expressways made throughout the country have significantly reduced the time it takes for goods and people to reach their destinations, which is also attracting international firms to set up their manufacturing plants for luxury buses. New initiatives like the establishment of Gwadar Port the construction and upgradation of new airports around the country and further expansion of the highway network have great potential for Swiss companies.
- Pakistan is building a train line which will connect Gawadar with rest of the country. An Oman based company Anvwar Asian Investments, expressed a keen interest in developing a 1,087 km railway line worth $2.3 billion between Gawadar and Jacobabad, which will help Swiss companies who’ll work in Gawadar to connect their routes with the rest of the country.
- Development of International Airport in Gawadar, The Greenfield Airport built across an area of 4,300 acres is the biggest in Pakistan and will become Pakistan’s second airport capable of handling A380 aircraft. It will be operational from December, 2022 and will connect east and the west.
- Under the federal government-backed initiative “Decade of Dam”, the Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA) is currently working on multiple projects. According to the initial planning and framework of the initiative, these dams are expected to be completed by 2028. Click here to check the Daily Flow Comparison of Pakistan’s Rivers.
- Pakistan’s growing tech ecosystem is taking off, which has been slow to adapt to the internet economy. Unlike other emerging economies such as China, India & Indonesia, which have embraced digitization and technology, Pakistan has trailed the region in the adoption of technology formation. Swiss technology is very much appreciated worldwide, including Pakistan, where most of the population is young and Tech Savy. Click here to learn more about the Rise of Pakistani Tech.
Industry events in 2022 & 2023
BUILD ASIA (BA)
The 16th edition of BA exhibition will take place on 17th-19th December, 2022 at Karachi Expo Center. The event is organized by full UFI member of Global Association of Exhibition Industry (Paris, France), Ecommerce Gateway Pakistan (Pvt.) Ltd. with an aim to focus on the immense potential of the Building and Construction Industry in Pakistan.
The exhibition is scheduled on 12 – 14 May, 2023 at Expo Center Lahore. The meet is the ideal meeting place for global and local stakeholders, C-level executives, leading industry experts, manufacturers and suppliers, decision-makers, policymakers, and government officials from across the value chain to engage in dialogue, discuss current challenges and business opportunities.
Swiss companies with attractive/sustainable solutions and technologies are encouraged to explore current opportunities in more detail and to consider visiting the market.