Saber is an online system that connects importers, certification bodies and Saudi customs and trade authorities. The goal of Saber is to quickly handle shipments, reduce counterfeit consumer goods, track products more easily and increase the number of SASO-approved products on the Saudi market.
According to the latest information, since January 2019 all gas appliances and accessories must be certified by the Saber system. From 1 April 2019, the certification requirement for "Saber" has been extended to the following product categories:
- Low-voltage electrical products and equipment
- children's toys
- lubricating oil
SASO has updated its list of product types to become mandatory on SABER system. As per 1st June, the following product groups will become mandatory through the SABER platform:
- Technical Regulation for Building Materials - part I: Metals and their Alloys for constructions and buildings
- Technical Regulation for Building Materials - Part II: Insulating and Cladding Materials for Buildings
- Technical Regulation for Building Materials - Part III: Hydraulic Links and Related Products
- Technical Regulation for Building Materials - Part IV: Bricks, Tiles, Ceramics, and Sanitary Ware
- Technical Regulation for Electrical Lifts (Elevators) Used in Buildings and Installations
How the registration process works
Importers have to register the regulated products and choose one of the SASO-approved certification bodies (CBs) to process their request. Please be informed that SABER can be used to conduct both product and shipment certifications following these processes.
Product Certification of Conformity
The product certification of conformity (PCoC) is issued online in the SABER platform for every regulated product, as per the applicable product standards defined in the relevant technical regulation. The process for obtaining a PCoC is:
- Importer adds product information on the SABER platform.
- Importer selects CB for issuance of PCoC and pays related fees.
- The CB accesses the SABER platform to check for importer requests.
- CB facilitates the conformity assessment process and liaises with the exporter for submission of all substantiating documents.
- The CB verifies the results and uploads qualifying valid documents into the system.
- PCoC is issued online in SABER; it is valid for a period of one year.
Shipment Certificate of Conformity (SCoC)
Every regulated product included in the shipment will be verified by the CB to ensure there is an existing valid PCoC for the product. If a valid PCoC is confirmed, an SCoC is issued. The process includes the following steps:
- Importer sends online request, via SABER, to obtain SCoC for importing products into Saudi Arabia
- CB verifies if there is valid PCoC for every regulated product
- If PCoC is verified, the CB confirms in SABER that it has been found to be true
- Importer pays SCoC fees.
- SCoC is issued online in SABER, valid for that specific shipment only.
Do you have any questions?
Would you like to export to Saudi Arabia and have questions about customs, export documents or conformity assessment? Contact our ExportHelp team via email, phone 0844 811 812 or via chat on our website.